Thursday, July 2, 2015

Sun & Moon

I've updated the monthly Sun and Moon rise and set for 2015 (yeah, a wee bit late), which you can find here with additional information about sources of on-line data for the sunrise/set and moon rise/set times.

In addition there are some good iPhone and iPad apps (don't know Android or other smart phones or tablets) which I use regularly. There's Sun Seeker and Moon Seeker which are companions apps to display sun and moon information separately.

LightTrac is a good one for showing direction of the sun and moon at locations, either where you're at or other places stored in the list of places along with some information. A good app for the moon I found recently is Moon Calendar. 

And lastly there is the complete suite of tools and function with The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) which to me has become a lot in a small package, too much for the smaller iPhones (mine's a 5s), but works better with an iPad (mine's and iPad Air but a iPad mini would work).

There's the Web version of TPE which I stopped using. I found it too much and cumbersome for a Web application over the iPad version, and still am slightly upset he dropped the stand-alone Adobe Air version when he didn't have to by embedding a sunset date into the app. Cheap shot.

Another app is Helios which is also good with lots of tools and functions, but is made for the iPhone, not any of the iPads. That's what I keep on my iPhone and iPad. There are lots of them in the iTunes app store.

4 comments:

Stephen said...

"and still am slightly upset he dropped the stand-alone Adobe Air version when he didn't have to by embedding a sunset date into the app. Cheap shot."

Not sure I follow your logic here. The AIR app was dropped because Google Maps stopped supporting both it and Adobe Flash.

WSR Photography said...

Ok, I wasn't aware of that and dropping Adobe Air version seems reasonable, but not the way the developer executed it within the app. Google has long supported legacy apps with wrappers (eg., Google Map API version 2) and the developer could have easily just let the app run until it wouldn't work than code in a date it wouldn't work.

Stephen said...

Well - I'm the developer, and I didn't code any date into the app to kill it - it died the day Google dropped support for Adobe AIR when they turned down the Google Maps for Flash API. Not a day before.

WSR Photography said...

Ok, I understand and the comment is struck out. I understand about Google and Adobe Air, which is not used by many developers anymore, although National Geographic continues to use it. I understand people prefer apps on mobile platforms than computers, and many of the latter prefer browser-based apps. I understand producing a standalone computer-based app isn't worth the work considering the customer base and Apple's App Store policy, especially if you make it a free product.

All that doesn't take away the flexibility of a computer-based standalone app than a browser-based one, which made TPE worthwhile, but as noted on the Website for TPE it still is useful for photographers as a browser app. I use a copy on my iPad with the other similar apps for sun and moon information.