Monday, December 27, 2010

Interesting Find


Recently I bought some NPS visitor pamphlets with maps of Mt. Rainier NP. I have some other brochures and pamphlets about the NP produced by organizations and writers, most by the Mount Rainier National History Association from the 1940's and 1950's. These new ones originated as annual reports on the NP in agency publications (pre-NPS) and visitor's brochures (post-NPS).

I bought a selection of 1914, 1918, 1925, 1932, 1936 and 1940. I'm working on a Web pages about these so visitors can understand what visitors long ago experienced when visiting the NP in the years about the time of the creation of the NPS (1916) to World War II. In the 1936 pamphlet, just inside the cover, I found this visitor's pass (above) along with a parking ticket for a Seattle parking garage, which I assume is from the same visit, meaning they stayed in Seattle before or after visiting the NP.

I don't know what more I'll do about but it would be interesting to find the owner (Oregon vehicle license 190-110 in 1936), but that's on the later list of things to do. I just thought it was interesting.

Update.--Folks at the Oregon Department of Motor Vehicles said that all vehicle records prior to 1960 were destroyed in the 1960's after the state converted to their new vehicle license and records system. In short, they threw away all the records which would have been a great asset for vehicle historians. What a waste when they could have simply archived all of the records in a warehouse.

No comments: