Friday, October 9, 2009

Google Maps


I'm not sure who develops the map layers at Google, but their quality assurance leaves something to be desired, and insufficient when a new version was released this week. If folks use the map Web pages with my Mt. Rainier photo guide, you will notice a change. Google released new map data which recolored the land on part or all of the three of the sides around Mt. Rainier NP. The problem is the NP boundary is now lost on the map.

I don't know how long it will take them to fix the maps. I've put some notices on forums about this. And I'll research if there are interim fixes, but I'm not hopefully because of the application of Google map especially when it has to rescale when you zoom in or out, but I'm open to suggestions. For now, it's confusing to the user if they can't clearly see the NP boundary to know where everything is and relative to the surrounding areas.

I'll keep you posted, but for now I've add a popup advisory to the map Web pages.

No comments: