Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Photo Guide on iPad


Folks, yesterday I bought an iPad, mostly for the times I work away from the office (don't own or want a laptop - one computer is enough even if it's a flawless Mac), to demonstrate the Mt. Rainier NP photo guide, to access the Internet when working on Web pages (I print them to review and edit - ok, old fashioned but it works for me), and listening to music or other neat things on occasion at cafes.

Because my entire Websites was designed around a standard 8 1/2 x 11 inch format, with the content being 6 1/2 inches wide on the screen (620 px), for easy viewing, reading and more so printing, it fits very nicely on the iPad's screen. The iPads touch features works to expand any Web page for the details and ease of using the links on each Web page. There are, however, two issues which are resident in the pages.

The first is Google's map interface to click on a location for the information ballon to appear. This takes some time and effort. I'm not sure why this happens, and sometimes with my testing it's hit and miss, so it may only be me, or my fingers, or may be a small iPad quirk. The alternative is to use the drop-down list below the map (oh the foresight for including this feature - ok, self patting self on the back).

The second are the photo galleries. The mouse over effect has a problem where it works but reverts back to the default image within a few seconds. This is an iPad-Safari issue with javascript which drives the mouseover. I have been working to convert or add the alternative slideshow version for each gallery (using Photo.net's script) which does work with the iPad. Some of the galleries have been replaced and some have this alternative viewing method.

Ok, that aside, that's it, the photo guide works in both portrait and landscape mode so you can chose your viewing style (narrow or wide Web page). And you can use the contact Web page to send e-mail. It also works on the iPad.

No comments: